10 Steps to Habit Change
Having good posture leads to many physical and psychological benefits. Check yourself right now-are you sitting up? slouching your back? or maybe you have even sunk completely into your chair? Now sit up a bit taller-don’t you instantly feel better?
Some benefits of having good posture:
- Decreased likelihood of neck and back pain
- Your body works more efficiently and is less likely to fatigue
- Reduced likelihood of restricted blood vessels and nerves
- Increased confidence and appearance of authority
- Can make you appear taller and slimmer
All these things sound great, right? So now how do you get there?
Tips for improving your posture:
- Assess your work space for ergonomic efficiency
- Get a good quality chair
- Sit with your butt at the innermost edge of the chair-if you can’t reach with your feet still flat on the ground, get a back cushion
- Take breaks away from the computer if you are working for more than an hour
- Pretend your body is being held up by a string attached to the top of your head
- Distribute the weight you carry around-switch from an over the shoulder bag to a backpack and empty out unnecessary items
- Have a visual reminder for yourself. Pick a color and every time you see that color double check your posture
- Strengthen the muscles that support your posture-back, hips, and core
Remember, completely changing your posture isn’t going to happen overnight, but try to incorporate these tips throughout your daily activities.
Leave a comment: Do you have any tricks that help you with your posture?
Be Healthy. Be Balanced.
-Alicia and Nikki
More like this...