Water is crucial to your health. It makes up, on average, 60% of your body weight and every system in your body depends on water to function properly. Lack of water can lead to dehydration, which even mild dehydration can leave you feeling drained. Every day you lose water by sweating, noticeable or not, exhaling, and urinating. Since our body is not designed to store water, if it does not have enough, it conserves and recycles what it does have. This ultimately circulates waste back into your system.
Here are a few benefits of staying hydrated:
- Alleviate headaches-while dehydration is not the only cause of headaches, it is a common cause.
- Keep your focus-the brain is made up primarily of water, so staying hydrated helps it function at its peak.
- Get healthy looking skin-water helps replenish skin tissue, increases elasticity in your skin, and keeps you moisturized.
- Fight hunger pangs-thirst often disguises itself as hunger, so when we are dehydrated we often reach for snacks.
- Relieve fatigue-when our body is dehydrated, our systems need to work harder to rid themselves of waste and when our systems are exhausted, so are we.
Stay tuned for more tips on how to determine how much water you need and identify if you are getting enough…
Be Healthy. Be Balanced.
-Alicia and Nikki